Monday, October 22, 2007

Live by Faith and Not by Fear

That is the title for the conference talk given by our newest Apostle, Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He quoted some scriptures that are good to remind us that our depression is something we can cope with.

D&C 68: 5-6:
"Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."

2 Timothy 1:7:
“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

Elder Cook concludes:
It is our faith in Jesus Christ that sustains us at the crossroads of life’s journey. It is the first principle of the gospel. Without it we will spin our wheels at the intersection, spending our precious time but getting nowhere. It is Christ who offers the invitation to follow Him, to give Him our burden, and to carry His yoke, “for [His] yoke is easy, and [His] burden is light” (Matthew 11:30).
I need consistent reminders that we should have joy in our life as the result of our righteousness instead of getting sucked down the drain of depression. All too often, my first instinct is to say life is hard and bleak. Yes, there are sufferings in life. But, it's a plan of happiness that we are following in the gospel, not a plan focused on thorns and thistles.

No comments: