Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Others' Actions and My Reactions

I wrote last week one of the things that affects my depression is how certain people treat me. As a coincidence, I had an experience that affirms that you shouldn’t let other peoples' actions control you. There’s a couple that are going through a divorce, although they are both still living in the same house to help their teenage children. They’ve been inactive from church for a while but still had lots of contact with members. The local paper reported the wife was arrested for public intoxication. These are people I consider friends – they’ve had us over for dinner and we’ve had them over.

I stopped by after church to offer help. All four cars were in the driveway, I could see the television turned on and hear them talking through the door. The dog started barking when I knocked and I heard someone walking inside. But nobody answered the door. Then I heard the husband call the dog away from the door. Still no answer at the door. The dog kept barking at me through the window next to the door. Still no answer. I decided to leave after a minute and a half.

At first I kept thinking “how can someone be so dumb to hide” and “do they think I’m so gullible to think they weren’t home?” Why would a “friend” do that? My wife suggested maybe they’re embarrassed and don’t want to talk about it right now. That’s understandable. I suppose they could have avoided me because I’m from the church and that compounds any embarrassment or guilt they feel. There’s probably other reasons that I’m not bright enough to think of... Whatever the reason, I have to remember that it’s their decision to not open the door. My good intentions aren’t meant to be an intrusion. If I can help them later on, I’ll still offer it. In the mean time, this doesn’t have to get to me. There is a reason somebody does something to you that may have more to do with them than with you. Don't let someone else get you down.

No comments: