Friday, September 7, 2007

Make a List

When someone has severe depression, he or she loses interest in activities they enjoy. They also have no desire to do many things that need to be done. They withdraw from family and friends because they want to be alone. I went through periods experiencing all of these tendencies; sometimes individually and sometimes – the darkest times – combined together.

One way to help overcome the lack of interest is to make a to-do list for the day. This isn’t a long term plan or a list of everything you expect to get done within the next twelve months. If you felt like I did and someone recommended making such a list you wouldn’t do it anyway. The key is to be practical for your current feelings and condition. Note that this isn’t just a list of work that needs to be done: include something you enjoyed normally. You remember your hobbies or interests so the list will help you experience a little fun.

If you’re bad off and have a combination of the above tendencies, you should have two things on your to-do list. It could be “call a friend or relative” and “wash a load of laundry.” If you’re “really blah” you could have four or five tasks. You be the judge, but don’t let your decision to be a blank list. At the same time, don’t fool yourself that a dozen tasks is better because if you only do two of the twelve, you will get discouraged and/or anxious about the tasks left undone.

Why make a list? The list helps you regain control. You may have two tasks a day for a week but next week it goes up to three and then four. You’re making progress. The list helps you motivate yourself to do something and get out of the shroud of darkness. You may not want to call your parents but you’ll be glad you did when you’re finished.

On Sundays, make sure one of your tasks is go to church. It’s easy to stay home and avoid everyone. You may sit through the entire block of meetings and wish you were in bed. I know the argument that doing things begrudgingly is as bad as not doing them but my opinion is that the Lord will mercifully not count it against you because of your emotional state. Go to church so the Lord can bless you. Go to feel the Spirit – even if is a teaspoon full when you’re used to a gallon. Listen to the speakers, teachers and hymns. Count your blessings. I often felt like I had 15 blessings and everyone else had 500. In the end, I was glad to know at least I had 15 and I was keeping the commandments.

I was also glad just to do two tasks sometimes. If I did it, so can you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hit on this method a few years ago. What shocked me was that I was still able to feel a slight hint of satisfaction from having accomplished something. By that I knew that a small part of me had survived.